Petah Tikva, meaning “opening of hope” in Hebrew, is a city in the Center District of Israel, 10.6 kilometers east of Tel Aviv, capital of
According to the Central Bureau of Statistics, at the end of 2009, the city's population stood at 209,600. The population density is approximately 5,800 inhabitants per square kilometer. Petah Tikva's jurisdiction covers 35,868 dunams (or 35.9 km).
Petah Tikva was founded in 1878 by religious pioneers from Europe, It was the first modern Jewish agricultural settlement in Ottoman Palestine and has since grown to become one of
's most populous urban centers.
Petah Tikva is the second-largest industrial sector in
after the northern city of
. The industry is divided into three zones—Kiryat Aryeh, Kiryat Matalon, and Segula, and includes textiles, metalwork, carpentry, plastics, processed foods, tires and other rubber products, and soap.
Petah Tikva is home to 300 educational institutions from kindergarten through high school, catering to the secular, religious and Haredi poulations. There are over 43,000 students enrolled in these schools, which are staffed by some 2,400 teachers. In 2006, five schools participated in the nationwide Mofet program, which
promotes academic excellence. Petah Tikva has nine public libraries, the main one located in the city hall building.
Petah Tikva has the most extensive health coverage of any city in
relative to the size of its population. Six hospitals are locaed in the city. The Rabin Medical Center Beilinson complex includes the
's Faculty of Medical Research. The
is one of the largest and most modern children's hospitals in the
. In addition, there are many family health clinics in Petah Tikva as well as Kupat Holim clinics operated by
's Health maintenance organizations.
Street View of Petah Tikva
High-tech Zone of Petah Tikva
a Seaside View